When going through an EKG, here are a few steps to expect during the test:
- After changing into a gown, a technologist attaches about 10 soft electrodes (about the size of a quarter) with a gel to your chest, arms, and legs. These electrodes are attached to wires that are attached to the EKG machine.
- If these areas where the electrodes are attached are not shaved, the technician may shave them for you.
- During the test, lie still on the table and breathe normally.
- Do not talk during the test.
- The machine will record your heart’s electrical activity and show results on a graph.
- Once the test is complete, the electrodes are removed and discarded. The entire procedure should take about 10-15 minutes.