The patient should know the following: Females who are pregnant or nursing should not take the exam. If there is any possibility that you may be pregnant, then you should have a pregnancy test performed just prior to having the exam. There will be some preparation required for certain exams and none for others. Please refer to the exam on this site for more information. Please arrive 30 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment time to complete the required paperwork and registration process. Please bring a list of your current medications with you to your appointment.
- HIDA - Nothing by mouth 6 hours before scan.
- Gastric Emptying - Nothing by mouth 8 hours before scan.
- Bone Scan - Force fluids beginning the evening before the exam.
- Renal - No diuretics (Lasix, HCTZ, Furosemide, Lisinopril, etc.) the day of exam.
- Thyroid Uptake and Scan - Nothing by mouth after midnight. No IV contrast studies within 30 days. No thyroid hormones (Synthroid, etc.) for 3 weeks prior to the exam.
- All other Nuclear Medicine exams - no prep required.
The patient preparations noted above are the specific requirements for this facility. If your physician has suggested different preparations, please follow those instructions.